Resident calls on Water District to drain Lake Coleman

coleman1

Breaking News, an update to this original story has been posted here:

If one Brownwood man gets his wish, Lake Coleman will soon be dry. Terry Wiseman let his intentions be known at the fishing tournament last week on Lake Brownwood, “most people don’t know this, but Lake Brownwood holds senior water rights in this region, and if we wanted to, we could require Lake Coleman, Hords Creek Lake, and Lake Clyde to drain their water in to the tributaries that feed Lake Brownwood.” Wiseman has apparently been doing his research, as Lake Brownwood is in fact the senior water rights holder for this area, and if he gets his way, could benefit from much needed inflow from the reservoirs that reside above Lake Brownwood.

Wiseman intends to speak to members of the Brown County Water Improvement District about the water rights. Wiseman said any possible act to drain neighboring lakes would without a doubt need their full support. “We have to have the support of the water board if we wish to do this. While it would be nice to drain all three, we’ve got to start with Lake Coleman, it’s the biggest of the reservoirs above us,” added Wiseman.

Coleman residents are outraged at the news. Mary Beth Hudson is no exception, “those city folks in Brown County think they can take our water when they should just learn a thing or two about conservation. Every time I drive through there all the yards are pretty and green. As far as I’m concerned they’re a bunch of traitors anyway after they left the pandhandle plains to join the hill country.”

Brownwood residents appeared to be split on the idea. Jackson Brown stated that while he knows Brown County could benefit with the extra water, he questions whether or not it’s ethical to take Coleman’s water. Jeff Brummet disagreed, “our lake was here first, if they won’t give it to us, I’ll go and get it myself. I’ve got 10 of them 55 gallon drums I can take over there.”

The issue is sure to divide the community and cause anger and hatred between the two counties, something Wiseman stated he’s ready for, “I’ve been thinking about the consequences of this for awhile now. They may not like us, but at least we will have water.”

Stay up to date on further developments regarding Lake Coleman and Lake Brownwood by ‘liking’ us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/bwdexaminer

satire

13 Comments Add yours

1. Paula says:

I personally don’t think it’s right to take our water but one of my questions is directed to the main mouth mr wiseman the tournament man … If your main concern is your fishing tournaments why don’t you go to a real tournament lake ?? Lake fork for instance it has 27 thousand surface acres and big bass !!! ??

1. Gloria Loyd says:

If Brownwood would learn to conserve instead of waste their water. The city of Brownwood has several residents that have swimming pools and also they have several parks that have swimming pools. Stop filling these pools and stop watering your lawns and then you might have water. Don’t take what little water Coleman has left. We are stage 3 of the drought. Figure some other way to get your water.

2. john says:

So.. the people of Coleman and surrounding areas that utilize the lake get to go without water because “Brownwood lake is senior” ? No.. not happening.. it is not the Water department of Brownwood to decide if they get to take our water.

3. Dona says:

Is Mr. Wiseman and Brownwood going to purchase the homes if people living on Lake Coleman since it will completely diminish what little value they have now?

4. Elizabeth says:

Can you be any more selfish? Your lake isn’t the only one that is hurting. If you want a fuller lake, the solution is simple: move.

5. Bill says:

I remember when I was in high school in Coleman, in the 60’s, when we built Lake Coleman. Brownwood tried to block us from doing so because we were in their watershed. WE won that battle then. I don’t think Brownwood, a totally different county, can rule on what another county does with their water flow. If that were the case, then Texas or Florida, which pretty much are the farthest south of the USA, could tell all of the Northern states to let the water go, so we could keep our lakes full. But in the end, we all have to live together, with what we have or have not. I think that it will take more than the one man, to force the issue. Heck, I have fished in Brownwood lake and caught a few fish, but I think I have caught more fish in small creeks then in Brownwood.

Remember, LOVE YOUR BROTHER, or you won’t get much love from him.

If he really wants the water that bad, then make him trade water for oil. I think Coleman would win out, if they were really wanting to be selfish and win.

1. Kyle Johnson says:

Bill, I think you need to go back to high school. Your overuse of commas is atrocious! Also, how do you figure that Texas could tell northern (which you capitalized ‘Northern’) states to release their water downstream to Texas. Did you know that most of the river systems in Texas start within the state? Do you think the Jim Ned Creek starts in another state? The Colorado River begins in Texas! While true the Colorado watershed extends in to New Mexico, the river itself begins in Texas (same for the Brazos)! The Trinity and Sabine also begin within the state of Texas. So please, tell me how telling northern states to send their water south would benefit the Colorado, Brazos, Trinity, Sabine, Nueces, etc etc. Perhaps you are too stupid and think that the Colorado River in Texas is the same Colorado River as is in Arizona. It’s not! Go back to high school, but please don’t go to Coleman!

By the way, it doesn’t matter what ‘battle’ you won, Lake Brownwood has senior water rights and Lake Coleman can’t do anything about it. If the powers that be wanted to, they could drain your poor little lake.

Oh, and as for fishing, at least Brownwood has enough water to cast a line out in to. You see, even at half capacity, Lake Brownwood is still twice the lake Coleman is when it’s full!

1. Bill says:

Kyle

You are a total idiot,,,,,,,,,,,,. I know that Texas can’t tell northern states to let the water go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and it wouldn’t make any difference if they did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Most of what I said was meant to be a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I don’t mean you are an idiott,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

6. Mike Davis says:

I myself own property at Lake Coleman and I promise to sue everybody and then some if this does happen.
    Just because we are and have been in a drought for several years a bone head gets the bright idea to rob water from one lake community and replenish another. That kind of thinking pretty much sums up the overall problem in America.

1. Bill says:

Hey Mike, you said it just right. I moved away many years ago, but Coleman is still dear to my heart. Mom and one of my brothers still live there.

They will not win your water. That is just stupid tothink they can.

7. Bill says:

Mr. Wiseman has done his research and is correct concerning the senior rights of Lake Bwd. The state of Texas has control over these matters and legal documents were created at the time of the other three lakes applying for the right to build their lakes. Several conditions have to be met before the state would allow this. I posted all this in more detail 2 years ago on some of the Bwd Facebook sites and encouraged the water board to hold a public hearing while going ahead with dredging Lake Bwd. They did neither.
    I am not getting into the neighbor city relations of this, only the fact that it might be done legally..

8. HillCountryMyASS says:

Brownwood…. the “Hill Country”….

LMAO…that’s rich!